Professional Baker's Couche | Baker's Proofing Cloth in 100% Linen
This hand-crafted linen baker’s couche supports proofing bread dough (baguettes, batards, ciabatta and pain rustique). Placing dough between the folds of the couche helps shape the dough and prevents it from proofing into its neighbours. The couche also wicks away a little of the dough’s outer moisture to helping it to develop a skin, hold the final shape, and develop a crisp crust.
- Made from pre-washed 100% raw, unbleached linen
- Finished seams on two long edges prevent fraying; short edges are the selvage of the fabric for a rustic feel
- finished size approx. 18.5" x 54"
- pre-washed in biodegradable laundry soap
- Handmade in Stratford ON, Canada
- A portion of all sales is donated to The United Way Perth Huron
To USE: Dust with white and/or rice flour to prevent dough from sticking.
TO LAUNDER: Although many subscribe to the notion to never wash a baker’s couche, it can get icky over time. After every use, simply shake or brush off excess flour, then air dry. If dough sticks, allow to dry and scrape off. Roll up to store. Every few uses, shake the excess flour, then hand wash in a sink using only water or add an unscented biodegradable soap (such as Castile). Rinse well. Hang to dry.
All fabrics have been pre-washed in biodegradable detergent, then air dried.
100% Linen--7 oz./yd (medium weight)
100% OEKO-Tex certified Linen-- 7 oz./yd (medium weight)
Cotton Canvas--7 oz./yd (medium weight)
Cotton Muslin--3 oz/yd (light weight)